Friday, May 6, 2011

A Whole Lot of Firsts

We've been on a wild ride around here over the last few weeks.  It's been especially exciting for Evelyn since she has crossed several milestones.  She has gotten her first tooth, eaten her first solid foods, sat up for the first time on her own and had her first swim lesson.  Busy, busy.

But I suppose I should back track a bit.  I took both kids in the the pediatrician's office for their wellness exams.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that it was Max's 2 year appointment and Evelyn's 6 month.  Where has the time gone?!  Both kids are strong and healthy and took their shots like champs.  I think the shots are harder for me than for them.  Max is now officially over 3 feet tall!  Matt has always joked that Max will be taller than me by the time he's 5.  Now I'm starting to believe that might happen.  Ha! Ha!  Max was off the charts for height and head size, but only in the 65th percentile for weight.  So he's  built just like his mama, except for the tall, skinny part.  I call him my little lollipop.  At this point the Dr isn't concerned about his weight.  He eats plenty and is very healthy.  He just has a fast metabolism and NEVER sits still.  If he's awake, he's on the move.

Evelyn is a bit more proportional.  She's a tall, chubby, sturdy bundle of cuteness.  We started feeding her rice cereal with breast milk just before she turned 6 months and have since added in apples, sweet potatoes, pears, peas, bananas, carrots and squash.  She's a pretty good eater, but LOVES the pears and carrots.  Her first tooth finally made it's appearance a couple of weeks ago, and her second one is on it's way.  She's been handling it really well.  So far I've been able to keep her comfortable just with teething rings, teething tablets and a little Tylenol at bedtime.  My wonderful friend Krystal gave us "teething bling", a round, black, pendant that I wear around my neck that Evelyn loves to chew on and can actually pass as real jewelry.  Whoever came up with that idea is a genius.  As for Evelyn's other firsts, she can sit up unassisted now and continues to roll all over the place.  I think she's trying really hard to keep up with her big brother, who she adores.  And last, but not least, she also went to her first swim lesson and loved it!  I was so relieved.  I thinks it's also a great way for her to burn off some energy, because she also never wants to sit still.  She's even squirmier than Max was at this age (YIKES!).  She spend the whole time in the pool laughing, splashing and kicking.  It was great.
 
I am absolutely loving going through all these great times again.  These kiddos keep me on my toes, but I love re-discovering the world with them.  Every day is a new adventure. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that Evelyn loves the teething bling! Riah liked hers too. Miss you guys! xo

    ReplyDelete