Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Strong, Silent Type

Continuing from my last post...

We had a snow day in Portland!  Granted, it wasn't much and had mostly melted by 11am, but we got snow on the ground.  Max had a blast playing outside and throwing snowballs with his daddy.  I have to admit though, I wasn't sad to see it go.   I've really started to enjoy the temperate environment out here.  It never really gets that cold.  I don't have to shovel, scrape windows, plug in my car at night, put on 5 layers of clothes just to go to out to get the mail, or worry about frozen pipes.  It's nice knowing that the kids will only be trapped inside for a few months before it will be warm enough again to play outside. Fortunately, we live in a city that has a lot to offer as far as indoor play gyms to help burn off some excess toddler energy. Max's personal favorite (and mine) is Gymboree Play and Learn.  He has been going there since he was 10 months old and has some friends that have been going there at the same time for as long as he has.  It's a bit of a drive to get there, but so worth it.  My aunt and cousins have been so incredibly helpful watching Evelyn for me while Max and I go.  It's been so nice having them here.  Max and Evelyn love them and have a great time playing with my cousin's kids.  My aunt and uncle are kind of like bonus grandparents for the kids and we appreciate all they've done for us so much!
Max and Matt playing in the snow



In other news, we think Evelyn is already getting her first tooth!  The fun begins again.  I hope it pops out quickly so she'll get a break from the discomfort.  The poor thing hasn't been a happy camper for the last few days.  I'm hoping she'll get all of her teeth quickly like Max did.   I guess time will tell.
Evelyn just chillin' in her Bumbo


And finally, at the recommendation of our pediatrician,  we had Max evaluated to see if he needs speech therapy.  At almost two years, he only has a couple of words, which is much less than someone his age should have.  We had his evaluation today and were told that he has a motor speech disorder.  Basically, he is having a really hard time forming sounds and will most likely need speech therapy for the next few years.  Obviously this is news that didn't really make my day, but I'm glad we got the ball rolling on this and will hopefully start seeing results soon.  And the therapist told me what I already knew- that Max is a happy, bright kid who has reached all of his other developmental goals with no problems.  So I'm trying not to be sad, but no parent is happy to be told that their child has a disorder of any kind.

That's all for now.  I will of course keep updating on Max's progress and all of his shenanigans in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment