Friday, April 15, 2011

A Letter to My Little Man

My dearest Maximilian,

You are now officially a two year old!  It's hard to believe that I am now counting your age in years instead of months.  Time certainly does fly when you're having fun!  Just over two years ago, after 39 hours of labor, you reluctantly came into the world.  I knew right away that you prefer to do things your own way, on your own time.  I never believed in love at first sight until I laid my eyes on you.  You were the most perfect, beautiful person I had ever seen.  I knew in an instant that there was nothing I wouldn't do for you.  You became the most important person in the world to me.   A mother's love is something I had heard about and tried to imagine, but had no idea how powerful it really is. 

Over the last couple of years,  I have delighted in everything you do.  Watching you discover the world makes me feel like I am discovering it for the first time again too.  You have made the transition from happy little baby to happy little boy who brings joy to everyone you encounter, whether it is your adoring family or complete strangers on an airplane.  You are an amazingly intelligent, creative, adventurous little man who lights up a room with your smile.  Your infectious laugh makes it impossible to be in a bad mood.  And you have already become the most incredible big brother.  You and Evelyn are so lucky to have each other.  I know she will always be your best friend, and you will be hers.  It makes my heart swell whenever you give her one of your bear hugs.  You have already done so much to make me so proud.

Here is my promise to you.  I will always be your biggest fan, your shoulder to lean on, and a source of unconditional love and support.  I will devote my life to keeping you safe and happy.  Whatever you do with your life, whoever you become, I will be there for you. 

Happy birthday Max.  Thank you for making me laugh every day.  You and your sister have made the last two years the most wonderful of my life.  I love you more than you'll ever know. 

Love,
Mom

PS- Here is a very small sampling of some of my favorite photos of you over the years.

Just a day old.  Really checking me out for the first time.

Such big, blue eyes!

Only three weeks old and full of attitude

Sweet, gummy smile

Your first hike!  You and your daddy are so handsome!


First Halloween.  Cutest little lion in the world.

Stylish little dude

Summer at Flathead Lake

You LOVE the beach!


Playing outside after a very rare snow storm in Portland

Look who's two!

No comments:

Post a Comment