Saturday, September 22, 2012

Running in to Fall

My favorite season has arrived!!!  Today is officially the first day of autumn, but our new traditional fall kick-off is when Matt does the Warrior Dash race.  It's a hard-core 5k filled with obstacles that ends with a mud pit covered in barbed wire and jumping through fire.  Matt is a pro and loves it.  And after the race is over, there is a band and giant turkey legs for the runners to enjoy.  This was Matt's third year doing it.  Maybe I'll be joining him next year.  We'll see...
Future Warrior

Waiting for Daddy to race

My boys

The kids having a little sword fight while we were waiting for Matt to finish
Unfortunately, my camera battery died before I could get some pics of him finishing and going through the barbed wire and fire, but I did get a shot of the end result on my phone.
Finished, filthy, and exhausted
Matt is also currently training for his third marathon.  One of our other new traditions is for the kids and I to meet him at the Saturday market downtown after he finishes his long runs.  There are fountains there that the kids love to run in  and Matt enjoys sitting and relaxing with a Rogue beer when he's finished.  The summer temps stuck around for most of September, so the kids got a few extra weeks of weather warm enough to play in the water.





Matt has been running quite a bit, but at least we can all have fun with it as a family.  I can't wait to see him and Julia finish the Portland Marathon in a couple of weeks!  Pretty soon we're going to run out of space for all his medals.  He's an extraordinary guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment